Late Night Dining in NYC
These diners, lounges and dessert bars are great places to grab a bite to eat any time.
- Coffee Shop, 29 Union Square West at 16th St. (212) 243-7969
- The predominant majority of the waitresses here are models, or drag queens dressed up that way. A strange hybrid of bar and diner, on weekends the Coffee Shop closes only for 1 hour. The food is quite good, varying from diner food to fine Brazilian.
- Carnegie Deli, 854 7th Avenue at 55th St. (212) 757-2245. Open til 4am
- The giant stuffed delicatessan sandwiches are a perfect late night snack.
- DT/UT, 1626 2nd Ave between 84th and 85th Streets. (212) 327-1327. Open 8am-Midnight Sun-Thu, 8am-2am Fri-Sat
- DT/UT (Downtown/Uptown) is a great upper east side dessert bar hangout with live performances.
- Empire Diner, 210 10th Avenue at 22nd Street. (212) 243-2736. Open 24 hrs daily
- Right near the Roxy, you'll find all types of late night clubbers hitting this place for chow at 4am. An elegant refurbishment of a 1929 diner, you'll find excellent quality food and a bar to boot. It has been reported that Bette Davis considered this her favorite diner.
- Florent, 69 Gansevoort Street between Washington and Greenwich Streets. (212) 989-5779. 9am-5am Sun-Thu, 24 hrs Fri-Sat
- The hip fashion crowd hangs out at this Hell's Kitchen dining establishment, near the meat district. Formally considered a cafe, look for the small pink neon sign with the same name. Open around the clock.
- Le Figaro Coffee Shop, 184 Bleecker Street at MacDougal. (212) 677-1100 Open Fri-Sat 10:00am- 4:00am and Sun-Thu 10:00am-2:30am.
- Le Figaro is a fun place to hang out and people-watch.
- Tom's Restaurant, 112th and B'way. (212) 864-6137. Open 24 hours, Thur-Sun.
- The same Tom's that Suzanne Vega sang about, and the one seen on Seinfeld every week. Your typical greasy spoon, but it has a friendly atmosphere and is open 24 hours from Thursday to Sunday. Favorite dishes include gravy fries, chicken dinner special and the split pea soup. Ask them to make your burger "nice"!