The Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty Island Ferry
Ellis Island is currently fully open. Liberty Island is also open, though access to the interior of the Statue of Liberty Monument is restricted as a security measure. For more information, call the Circle Line Ferry at 212-269-5755, or check their website, www.statuecruises.com.
Over 40% of the U.S. population descend from the 17 million immigrants that have passed through Ellis Island from 1892 to 1954. The three story Ellis Island Museum is housed in the same building that the immigrants came through in those 64 years. For more information on visiting both Ellis Island and The Statue of Liberty, visit The National Park's Service home page.
Round trip fare on the ferry, which includes admission to both the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, is $18 for adults, $14 for senior citizens, $9 for children 4-12 years old, and free to children 3 and under. The ferries, which leave from Battery Park in Manhattan and Liberty State Park in New Jersey, operate 7 days a week, from approximately 9:30am to 5:00pm. For ferry schedule and information, call 212-269-5755 or visit www.statuecruises.com.
To get to Battery Park
- By train, take the 1 or 9 train to the South Ferry station, 4 or 5 train to the Bowling Green station, or the N or R train to the Whitehall Street station.
- By bus, take the M15 (East Side) marked "South Ferry" or the M6 (West Side) from 57th Street.
- By car, take the East Side Drive (FDR Drive) south to Battery Park and State Street or the West Side Highway/West Street/Route 9A south to Battery Place.
- Parking: Privately operated parking lots are located along West Street and South Street (beneath the FDR Drive). Parking is limited so arrive early or take public transportation.
To get to Liberty State Park and Jersey City
- By bus, take the Central Avenue bus from platform A3 at the Journal Square Terminal in Jersey City to Liberty State Park.
- By car, take the New Jersey Turnpike to exit 14B. There is ample parking available in Liberty State park for a fee.