New York is home to one of the largest and oldest Chinatowns in the
U.S. Occupying a small area of southeastern Manhattan, Chinatown
has more than 200 restaurants, offering everything from Cantonese to
Szechuan to Vietnamese to Malaysian cooking. If you're hungry, pick
any one of the restaurants you find -- they're all authentic. Once
you know your way around, check out the following places for some of
Chinatown's best dining...
- Chinatown Ice Cream Factory
- 65 Bayard St. (btw. Mott St. and Elizabeth St.), 608-4170
- M-F 11:30am-10:30pm, Sa-Su 11:30am-11pm
- Try exotic tropical flavors that don't exist in everyday American stores. The Lychee flavor comes highly recommended.
- House of Vegetarian ($15 and under)
- 68 Mott St. (btw. Bayard St. and Canal St.), 226-6572
- M-Su 11am-11pm
- Healthy vegetarian Chinese cuisine.
- Kam Kuo Food Corporation
- 7 Mott St. (btw. Canal St. and Chatham Sq.), 349-3097
- M-Su 8:30am-9:30pm
- Combination Chinese supermarket and houseware store.
- New Good Taste Restaurant
- 65 Bayard Street (btw. Mott St. & Elizabeth St.)
- Sun-Thu 9am-10pm, Fri-Sat 9am-11pm
- Superb Roast Duck and BBQ ribs. Unbeatable prices
& taste for seafood. Jumbo Wonton Soup and all the usual favorites.
- Nom Wah Tea Parlor ($4 average menu item)
- 13 Doyers St. (btw. Pell St. and Chatham Sq.),
- M-F 10am-8pm, Sa-Su 10am-6pm
- Dim Sum tea parlor.
- Peking Duck House ($31 and under)
- 22 Mott St. (@ Pell St.),
- M-Su 11:30am-10:30pm
- Former NYC Mayor Ed Koch's favorite restaurant.
- New Silver Palace Restaurant ($20 average entree)
- 52 Bowery St. (@ Canal St.),
- M-Su 8am-10pm
- Cantonese Dim Sum heaven!
- Vegetarian Paradise 3
- 33 - 35 Mott St. (@ Pell St.),
- M-Th 11am-10pm, F-Su 11am-11pm
- Heavenly Chinese vegetarian cuisine. Look for the lunch specials!