English Dining in New York
English dining has never had tremendously good press. However,
these places may change your mind!
- Lady Mendl's ($25pf.)
- 56 Irving Pl. (btw. 17th St. & 18th St.), 533-4466
- W-Su 2pm & 4:30pm seatings
- The quaint ambiance of Mendl's sets it apart from any tea service cafe. The 5 course tea requires that you make reservations for the seating times in the afternoon. Enjoy fresh fruit, delectable English sandwiches, scones with cream or preserves, dainty petit fours that are to die for, and a fruit or chocolate tart. You won't be disappointed!
- Landmark Tavern ($28 & under)
- 626 11th Ave. (@ 46th St.), M-Su 12pm-12:30am
- At Tavern's, you can enjoy a good ale from their large assortment by the waterfront.
- North Star Pub ($15 & under)
- 93 South St. (@ Fulton St.), 509-6757
- M-Su 11:30am-12am
- Try the fish and chips at the pub or drink from their extensive list of ales and scotches!
- Tea & Sympathy ($9-$15)
- 108 Greenwhich Ave. (btw. 7th Ave & 8th Ave.), 807-8329
- M-Sa 11:30am-10:30pm, Su 11:30am-10pm
- Telephone Bar & Grill ($21 & under)
- 145 2nd Ave. (btw. 9th Ave & 10th Ave.), 529-5000
- M-F 11:30am-12am, Sa & Su 11:30am-1:30am
- Try the Stilton Cheese Fritters, scrumptious fish and chips or a hardy shepherd's pie. Happy hour is from 4pm-7pm