Survival Guide: Safety Tips, New York City
If you have never been to New York before, don't be afraid to go out! Just keep these safety tips in mind and you should be just fine.
- Be aware of who is around you.
- Stay in populated areas.
- How you carry yourself is crucial. Look confident in where you are going, how you walk and what you are doing.
- Clutch your purse/bag securely under your arm.
- If there are two of you, place handbags between you instead of on the outside.
- Turn rings around, so the gems face your palm.
- Keep necklaces tucked under your clothing.
- If someone is harassing you on the street, then go into a populated store or shop or find a police officer.
- Yell "Fire" not "Help". People will come look if they think there's a fire, but "Help" is like crying wolf.
- If you are being mugged then it's better to give the mugger what he/she wants. Your life is worth more than the cash in your pocket!
- Try to walk in the middle of the sidewalk and not next to the buildings or the street. At night, stay close to the street so that you can flag down help if the nearby stores are closed.